[Insight-users] VTK version for IJ testing?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Oct 12 15:58:39 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 1:52 PM, David Doria <daviddoria+itk at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 1:22 PM, Luis Ibanez <luis.ibanez at kitware.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi David,
>>

>> The class
>>

>>            vtkModifiedBSPTree.h
>>

>> was added to VTK on August 5th 2009:
>>

>> http://public.kitware.com/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Filtering/vtkModifiedBSPTree.h?view=log
>>
>> Revision 1.1
>> date: 2009-08-05 10:30:33 -0400;  author: biddisco;  state: Exp;
>> commitid: Evwm0eBFvHniZvYt;
>> ENH: Add new Cell Locator class to Filtering. This is a BSP tree which
>> store cells using axis aligned lists, it was originally optimized for
>> RayCasting, but still works well as a general purpose cell locator.
>>
>> =============================================================================
>>

>> Therefore this class is not included in the VTK
>> releases 5.4 nor 5.4.2.
>>

>> The Insight Journal build environment only supports
>> recent official releases of the toolkits, not their CVS
>> versions.
>>

>> Any chance that you could base your insight Journal
>> submission on VTK 5.4 ?
>>

>>     Please let us know,
>>

>>           Thanks
>>

>>                Luis
>
> Luis,
>
> When you CC people (Julien, Zack) I assume it's for a good reason - should I
> reply-all to them or just reply to the list?
>
> I found that the modified BSP tree produced a MASSIVE speed up (50x +) so it
> would seem silly to go back to using one of the other data structures. I
> guess there's nothing else we can do then? I suppose having the IJ build
> environment use CVS versions is out of the question? I guess it depends on
> the mission statement of the IJ build platform - if it is mainly for ITK
> then I guess having only the VTK release version makes sense. If it is
> trying to be a catch all for Kitware product code it doesn't seem too
> unreasonable to support the latest cvs versions of all the toolkits.
>
> Let me know what you all think.
>
> Thanks,
>
> David

-------------------------------

Hi David,

Your are right,

I'm adding Julien and Zack in CC because they
are the embodiments of "root" for the Insight Journal.        :-)

In general,
it is preferable to copy the list so the resolution
of any issue is stored in the mailing list Archives.

In this case in particular,
The use of the Insight Journal is quite relevant to
all users, so it is good to share any information on
how to post submissions to the Journal.

I see your point for wanting the IJ to support the
CVS version of VTK.  The problem with this is that
the CVS version of VTK is different every day    :-)

That said,
I would deffer to Zack and Julien to state how
difficult or easy it may be to maintain a Nightly
CVS version of ITK and VTK in the Insight Journal
build environment.