[Insight-users] VTK version for IJ testing?

David Doria daviddoria+itk at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 13:52:20 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 1:22 PM, Luis Ibanez <luis.ibanez at kitware.com>wrote:

> Hi David,
>

> The class
>

>            vtkModifiedBSPTree.h
>

> was added to VTK on August 5th 2009:
>

> http://public.kitware.com/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Filtering/vtkModifiedBSPTree.h?view=log
>
> Revision 1.1
> date: 2009-08-05 10:30:33 -0400;  author: biddisco;  state: Exp;
> commitid: Evwm0eBFvHniZvYt;
> ENH: Add new Cell Locator class to Filtering. This is a BSP tree which
> store cells using axis aligned lists, it was originally optimized for
> RayCasting, but still works well as a general purpose cell locator.

> Therefore this class is not included in the VTK
> releases 5.4 nor 5.4.2.
>

> The Insight Journal build environment only supports
> recent official releases of the toolkits, not their CVS
> versions.
>

> Any chance that you could base your insight Journal
> submission on VTK 5.4 ?
>

>     Please let us know,
>

>           Thanks
>

>                Luis

Luis,

When you CC people (Julien, Zack) I assume it's for a good reason - should I
reply-all to them or just reply to the list?

I found that the modified BSP tree produced a MASSIVE speed up (50x +) so it
would seem silly to go back to using one of the other data structures. I
guess there's nothing else we can do then? I suppose having the IJ build
environment use CVS versions is out of the question? I guess it depends on
the mission statement of the IJ build platform - if it is mainly for ITK
then I guess having only the VTK release version makes sense. If it is
trying to be a catch all for Kitware product code it doesn't seem too
unreasonable to support the latest cvs versions of all the toolkits.

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks,

David