[Insight-users] Gradient anisotropic filter time step?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Feb 15 15:00:25 EST 2010

Hi Natarajan,

                      "Glimpsing at the Source, leaves no doubt"

This is what the file:

           Insight/Code/BasicFilters/itkAnisotropicDiffusionImageFilter.txx

has in lines 75-82:

  if ( m_TimeStep >  (minSpacing / vcl_pow(2.0,
static_cast<double>(ImageDimension) + 1))  )
    {
    //    f->SetTimeStep(1.0 / vcl_pow(2.0,
static_cast<double>(ImageDimension)));
    itkWarningMacro( << "Anisotropic diffusion unstable time step: "
                     << m_TimeStep << std::endl
                     << "Stable time step for this image must be smaller than "
                     << minSpacing / vcl_pow(2.0,
static_cast<double>(ImageDimension+1)));
    }

In summary:

                    Timestep    <     pixelSpacing  /  ( 2^N )

where N is the image dimension (e.g. 3 for 3D images, and 2 for 2D images).

Did you enable the flag:

               UseImageSpacing  ?

If so, what is the pixel spacing of your image ?