[Insight-users] Any advice on which adv. segmentation filter to use here?

Roman Grothausmann roman.grothausmann at helmholtz-berlin.de
Wed Oct 28 07:30:43 EDT 2009

Dear mailing list members,

I've read about FC, MRF and all those fancy hybrid segmentation filters
described in "Insight into Images" but still I've hard times seeing
which segmentation filter would be best for my tomogram problem.
Here's a slice (user: pubu; pas: pp09):
http://www.helmholtz-berlin.de/files/roman.grothausmann/pub/
zs_1350x950x660_xz_272_03.png shows an overall threshold that is giving
a clue of what part I want. It's the carbon support for the small white
particles. I think for humans its much easier to see
(zs_1350x950x660_xz_272_01.png) because we can recognise the pattern
that makes up the carbon support. Is there some segmentation technique
based on pattern recognition available in ITK? Granulometry sounds
promising but I couldn't find a filter doing that.

Any help is very much appreciated
Roman

--
Roman Grothausmann

Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie GmbH
Bereich Funktionale Materialien
Institut für angewandte Materialforschung
Hahn-Meitner-Platz 1
D-14109 Berlin

Tel.: +49-(0)30-8062-2816
Fax.: +49-(0)30-8062-3059

Mitglied der Hermann von Helmholtz-Gemeinschaft Deutscher
Forschungszentren e.V.
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrates: Dr. Beatrix Vierkorn-Rudolph,
Stellvertretende Vorsitzende: Dr. Jutta Koch-Unterseher,
Geschäftsführer: Prof. Dr. Anke Kaysser-Pyzalla, Prof. Dr. h.c. Wolfgang
Eberhardt, Dr. Ulrich Breuer  Sitz Berlin, AG Charlottenburg, 89 HRB 5583