[Insight-users] VNL/VXL binary import/export

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Oct 20 18:08:20 EDT 2009

Hi Stefan,

You are correct, ITK doesn't contain the full source code of VXL.

Instead we mainly take advantage of the Numerics library from VXL.
(this is the VNL directory). And this is not specific to ITK 3.12.
Even in hte most recent release (ITK 3.16) you will find the same
situation.

Your option of using a SYSTEM VXL is the way to go in your case.

That is,
to build a full VXL on your own, and point your ITK build to it.

If you still are getting link errors for symbols in the directory:

                              core/vnl/io

chances are that you are not linking against the library:

                                vnl_io

Note that ITK will not add this library to the link line.

You have to do it on your own,
by adding it to the TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES command
for you application (assuming that you are using CMake
for configuring your application).