[Insight-users] Multiresolution registration slower than regular one

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Oct 19 14:55:39 EDT 2009

Hi itkvtk123,

The statement that

   "multi-resolution registration is faster than single-resolution one"

is certainly a simplistic one.   :-)

The expectation is that because the multi-resolution approach
solves the mis-alignment in a progressive way, it should take
less computation than the single-resolution, where many small
step will be required.

In practice however, the devil is in the details.

It all depends on what type of parameters you set in both:

 a) The single-resolution registration, and
 b) Each one of the levels of the multiple-resolution registration.

For example, a common mistake is to start a second or
third resolution level with optimizer jumps that are so large
that they will make you lose the initialization provided by the
previous resolution level.

Another common mistake, for example, is to use the optimizer,
and setup a number of iterations that is too large along with
convergence parameters that are too tolerant and will not
really stop the optimizer before it reaches the maximum
number of iterations alloted for it. In this conditions the
optimizer will be running unnecessary iterations that do not
contribute to the refinement of the Transform parameters.

In summary, here is what you want to check:

A) Does the optimizer uses all the iterations that
     you alloted for it ? (in each of the resolution levels).

B) If you plot the parameters of the Transform, do
     they perform big jumps in the transitions between
     on resolution level and the next ?