[Insight-users] Multiresolution registration slower than regular one

itkvtk123 at gmx.net itkvtk123 at gmx.net
Wed Oct 14 18:08:17 EDT 2009

Hey guys,

both on the ITK website and in the manual it says, that the multiresolution registration is both faster and more robust than the regular registration.
I implemented both now and the multiresolution registration is always about 10 times slower than the regular registration.
I use the same image data, the same optimizer, the same metrics and the same optimizer scales for both registrations.
The multiresolution registration is run with 3 levels.
(when I set the number of levels to 0, both registration methods run the same speed)
Offtopic: Why can I set the number of levels to 0? It does not make sense! Does it? Does ITK use 1 level then (regular registration)?

Where is the problem that the multires so slow?

Best regards,
itkvtk123