[Insight-users] VTK version for IJ testing?

Zack Galbreath zack.galbreath at kitware.com
Thu Oct 15 15:48:40 EDT 2009

Hi all,

Sorry for the tardy reply.

I don't think it's a good idea for the Insight Journal tester to provide
the option to link against CVS HEAD versions of ITK & VTK.  It would
still maintain the Insight Journal's goal of reproducibility, but in a
less intuitive way.  Reviewers may potentially have to build an
arbitrary version of VTK based on the timestamp of the submission.  We'd
also need to change the tester's behavior to postpone testing
submissions that require CVS HEAD on days when the dashboard is broken.

That being said, I just checked, and we only have VTK 5.0 installed
there currently.  I'll work on upgrading this to VTK 5.4 soon, but if I
read the thread correctly,  I don't think that will solve your problem
in this case.  What submission prompted this inquery?  I tried searching
for "Doria" in the Insight Journal, but you seem to be quite the
prolific author :).

If the only issue is execution speed, I can increase the test timeout
parameter to give your submission more time to finish.  If your code
needs to vary depending on the version of VTK you're building against,
you could use pre-processor directives to conditionally compile
different blocks of code based on the value of VTK_MINOR_VERSION.  It's
ugly, I know, but it would be more "out of the box" compatible with
different versions of VTK.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to make your experience using
the Insight Journal more pleasant.

-Zack