[Insight-users] Need tutorial tu use Itk with VS2005

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Tue Oct 13 11:43:30 EDT 2009

On Oct 13, 2009, at 11:24 AM, John Drescher wrote:

>> Essentially, the problem is that for better or worse, all compiled
>> projects
>> that link together on Windows using Visual Studio MUST be compiled
>> EXACTLY
>> the same way regarding the threading model and debug/release and
>> also the
>> same version of Visual Studio (including Service Packs).
>>
> Totally agreed.
>
>> **Again, I would _love_ to see ITK do the same thing Qt does and
>> decorate
>> the debug libraries with _debug or _d or D or something so that I
>> can have
>> both the Debug and Release libraries installed in the same location
>> AT THE
>> SAME TIME. Currently, I have to "install" the debug libraries, then
>> rebuild
>> my large project to debug, then "install" the Release version, then
>> rebuild
>> my project to test out the performance. Kind of a pain. Qt's use of
>> decorated libraries makes this transition relatively less painless.
>>
> Ahh, now I see the difference (previous discussion about needing
> separate depug/release build trees for ITK). I have a single build
> tree under windows for debug/relwithdebinfo and this works great. I do
> not install ITK, I just set ITK_DIR in cmake-gui to the location of
> the built tree and cmake correctly links the debug libs with debug
> application builds and it also links relwithdebinfo libs with
> relwithdebinfo application builds.
>
> John

So how are you setting this up? Are you building ITK in 2 separate
build directories, one with Debug and the other with RelWWithDebInfo?
And then in your project cmake picks up BOTH sets of libraries
automatically? What would I set the ITK_DIR variable to? If that is
the case then I'll change up a bit. But I would _still_ like to see
ITK with decorated libraries.

Mike Jackson                  mike.jackson at bluequartz.net