[Insight-users] Need tutorial tu use Itk with VS2005

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 11:24:31 EDT 2009

> Essentially, the problem is that for better or worse, all compiled projects
> that link together on Windows using Visual Studio MUST be compiled EXACTLY
> the same way regarding the threading model and debug/release and also the
> same version of Visual Studio (including Service Packs).

Totally agreed.

> **Again, I would _love_ to see ITK do the same thing Qt does and decorate
> the debug libraries with _debug or _d or D or something so that I can have
> both the Debug and Release libraries installed in the same location AT THE
> SAME TIME. Currently, I have to "install" the debug libraries, then rebuild
> my large project to debug, then "install" the Release version, then rebuild
> my project to test out the performance. Kind of a pain. Qt's use of
> decorated libraries makes this transition relatively less painless.

Ahh, now I see the difference (previous discussion about needing
separate depug/release build trees for ITK). I have a single build
tree under windows for debug/relwithdebinfo and this works great. I do
not install ITK, I just set ITK_DIR in cmake-gui to the location of
the built tree and cmake correctly links the debug libs with debug
application builds and it also links relwithdebinfo libs with
relwithdebinfo application builds.

John