[Insight-users] BSpline Transformation and binary images

Serena Fabbri fabbri at u.washington.edu
Mon Oct 12 19:23:31 EDT 2009

Hi All,

I am trying to register binary images of the head using Non Rigid Registration.
They are (80;80;101) pixelsize and (4;4;1)mm spacing.

I use Mattes-MI, LBFGSB, NearestNeighbor interpolator and BSpline Transformation.
After reading the email
http://www.itk.org/pipermail/insight-users/2007-November/024178.html

I set 2 bin and 10% of statistic for MI and I have got this message:

Starting Registration
ExceptionObject caught !

itk::ExceptionObject (0x1900fb0)
Location: "void itk::MattesMutualInformationImageToImageMetric<TFixedImage,
TMovingImage>::GetValueAndDerivative(typename itk::ImageToImageMetric<TFixedImage,
TMovingImage>::ParametersType&, typename itk::ImageToImageMetric<TFixedImage,
TMovingImage>::MeasureType&, typename itk::ImageToImageMetric<TFixedImage,
TMovingImage>::DerivativeType&) const [with TFixedImage = main(int, char**)::FixedImageType,
TMovingImage = main(int, char**)::MovingImageType]"
File: /Users/InsightToolkit-
3.10.0/Code/Algorithms/itkMattesMutualInformationImageToImageMetric.txx
Line: 1160
marginal PDF summed to zero

I have increased the statistic until 30% and I get the same error.
Is it possible that BSpline Transformation is not suitable for binary images registration?

Any suggestion will be appreciate.

Thanks.

Serena.