[Insight-users] Question about multiResolutionPyramidImageFilter class

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Oct 12 15:46:54 EDT 2009

Hi Kaveh,

Yes, Jeffrey Duda's work is quite relevant here.

Although,
there may have been multiple efforts in this front.

Regarding your questions:

1) VectorResampleImageFitler:

    This class will take as input an image whose
     pixels have multiple components and will
     resample it with another image's grid, and by
     applying a geometrical Transform in between.

     You could use this class for generating the
     multiple resolution levels of the image pyramid.
     Note that in principle you need just to connect
     an Identity Transform, and to manipulate the
     number of pixels and pixel spacing of the output
     grid, in order to generate sub-resolution images
     that cover the same physical extent as the initial
     image.

2)  Yes, a Deformation field is essentially an image
     whose pixels are Vectors (in the geometrical
     sense: that is, they indicate the relative position
     between two points).

3)  For the purpose of constructing the image
     Pyramid, you don't need to worry about the
     differences between CovariantVectors and Vectors
     (strictly speaking ContravariantVectors).
     All the pixels in the deformation field will be
     "Vectors".

BTW, I you would like to contribute code, you could
request to have write access to the NAMIC Sandbox.

Please let me know if you would be interested in
doing so.