[Insight-users] Need tutorial tu use Itk with VS2005

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Oct 12 13:05:04 EDT 2009

Hi Vincent,

0) Please NEVER use the /FORCE flag to silence link warnings.
    Those warnigns are serious, and silencing them doesn't
    solve any problem. It simply delays the danger and postpone
    the issues to become run-time crashes once your application
    reaches the hands of the final users.

    The /FORCE option shouldn't even be available...

1) What the warnings are telling you is that you are combining
    libraries that were build with incompatible compilation flags.

    For example a common mistake is to mix libraries that were
     compiled for Release with libraries that were compiled for
    Debug.  Another common mistake is to mix libraries that were
     compiled for Multi-Threading, with libraries that were compiled
     for Single-Threading.

2)  You will not have to deal with these annoying errors
     if you were using CMake to configure your application   :-)

3)  You will find tutorials on the use of ITK with Visual Studio at

                http://www.itk.org/ITK/help/tutorials.html

      In particular you should look at:

      "Getting Started"
       * http://www.itk.org/CourseWare/Training/GettingStarted-I.pdf

       "Integrating ITK with your Application"
       * http://www.itk.org/CourseWare/Training/GettingStarted-V.pdf

4) The best way to proceed is to CMake-ify your application,
     in this way, you entire project will be:

       a) Configured with consistent options
       b) Setup for easy migration from one computer to another
       c) On Big step closer to becoming multi-platform.