[Insight-users] conversion of scan transofmration matrix between different modality

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 11:08:24 EDT 2009

Now I understand.

Not all itk supported formats support orientation. Off the top of my head,
the following do:
DICOM (the gdcm implementation GDCMImageIO)
nrrd
meta

For others, the application has to deal with it. There is a class in itk:
OrientImageFilter that will reshuffle a volume into a selected orientation.

Handling medical image data properly is very tricky. We have tried in itk to
the right thing in DICOM, which is the clinical medical imaging standard.
meta and nrrd are great research formats and we think we handle orientation
properly.

If you are working in a clinical environment, I would strongly recommend
that you use DICOM. If you are in a research environment and will not be
providing information to a clinical environment, then I guess you can use
whatever works for your particular scanner protocols.

Bill