[Insight-users] Compute the overlapping volume of two images

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Nov 9 16:08:24 EST 2007

Hi Michael,

Here is one possible method:

1) Take a ResampleImageFilter

2) Connect one image as the input image

3) Connect the other image as the Reference image

4) Fill the buffer of the input image with "1"s

5) Set the default value of the Resample filter to "0"

6) Set an itkIdentiyTransform to the ResampleImageFilter

7) Set a NearestNeighborhood interpolators

8) Run the filter (e.g. resample the image)

9) Take the output image

10) Count the number of pixels that are non-zero

11) If you want to get mm3,
     take the number from (10) and multiply it by

     ImageType::SpacingType spacing = image->GetSpacing();
     double pixelVolume = spacing[0] * spacing[1] * spacing[3];