[Insight-users] axes in VersorRigid3DTransform

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Nov 9 16:00:49 EST 2007

Hi Soosho,

In principle the horizontal axis in the ImageViewer
display is the X axis, the vertical is the Y axis and
so on.

However.....

Be careful, the ImageViewer *does not* take into account the
image orientation (expressed by the direction cosines) defined
in the DICOM file.

If you want to know the details of the axis orientations
as defined in the DICOM standard, you may want to look at
the following Wiki page:
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/Proposals:Orientation#C.7.6.2.1.1_Image_Position_And_Image_Orientation

in particular to the diagrams of the patient in the scanner.

Note that ITK *does not* perform any type of visualization,
therefore you can only reason in ITK in terms of coordinate
systems.

You may find useful to read the ITK Software Guide

     http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

in particular the section 6.9.4, "Geometric Transformations"
in pdf-page 254.