[Insight-users] how to use the SetImageMask in registration

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Aug 11 17:45:28 EDT 2004

Hi Cao,

You don't have to use the Mask functions on the
metrics. This is purely optional. In practice, Masks
are used for restricting the evaluation of the metric
to certain zones of the image that you consider to be
the ones of interest.

If you are starting with registration, simply ignore
this option, at least until you are familiar with
the common aspects of Image Registration.

You will find an example on the use of Image Masks
for registration in the file

   Insight/Examples/Registration/
                     ImageRegistration12.cxx

This file was added recently to the toolkit, so you
will have to use a recent CVS checkout, or try the
Beta version ITK 1.8 that is now available from the
ITK Download page.

The example is configured for 2D images, but it can be
easily modified to be used with 3D or 4D images.

Please let us know if you have further questions.