[Insight-users] ConfidenceConnectedImageFilter question

Miller, James V (Research) millerjv at crd.ge.com
Tue Aug 10 09:51:59 EDT 2004

Bill Lorensen recently added a filter to ITK call
itkOtsuThresholdImageFilter.

It uses the OtsuThresholdCalculator and a BinaryThresholdImageFilter
internally.
When applied to CT images of the thorax, it does a pretty good job of
picking a
threshold automatically that separates the lung field from the body. But it
also ends up labeling the region outside the body and outside the field of
view with
the same label as the lung field.  You can run
ConnectedComponentsImageFilter to give the lungs a different label than the
outside of the body, then cull away any region that touches the boundary of
the image. (Or use ConnectedThresholdImageFilter to pull out the lungs from
the label map or remove the corners of the image).

Jim