[Insight-developers] adding test images in a branch

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Sep 30 12:11:55 EDT 2010

On 09/30/2010 07:53 AM, Gaëtan Lehmann wrote:
> In http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK/Git#Updating_Data , it seems that the
> test data are published in Testing/Data before committing the related
> changes in the local ITK branch.
>
> But what happens if I decide to not publish my new stuff, or if it is
> rejected by the reviewers (with gerrit)? Do we still have the related
> data in Testing/Data?

Interesting.  I'm not familiar with any support in Gerrit for dealing
with submodules during review.  If a reviewer fetches commits from Gerrit
that refer to new commits in a submodule then he/she will have to also
add some remote and fetch the submodule commits by hand.  This is not
necessary to perform an online review in Gerrit's interface but would
be to actually try building the code and running the tests.

> Also, what is the right procedure for the developper who don't have
> write access to ITKData?

The data should not be pushed to itk.org/ITKData.git until the commits
that need it are about to be pushed to itk.org/ITK.git.  Users that
have new ITKData commits should first publish them somewhere other than
the main itk.org/ITKData.git repository's master branch.  We need to
choose where.  Currently the GitHub and Gitorious mirrors do not do
ITKData to save space.  There is also no ITKData project in Gerrit,
and it doesn't really make sense to do line-wise reviews on binary
data files anyway.

We could consider creating a new "ITKData Topic Stage" repository
at "itk.org/stage/ITKData.git".  This would provide a place for folks
to push arbitrary topic branches with new data.  Changes can sit there
and later be merged after review.  However, this doesn't solve the
problem for developers without push access to itk.org.  Others would
still have to create their own publishing locations.

-Brad