[Insight-users] solving large linear equations (Habib Baluwala)

Kayhan Batmanghelich kayhan_batman at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 17 11:28:48 EDT 2009

Hi Habib,

First of all you should make sure that your program is being compiled without debug flags and with code optimization (e.g. -O3) you can set it to "Release" to do so. Second, do you link to blas, lapack, and atlas or you don't? if you don't why should it link to those? Most importantly, VNL is very week when it comes to sparse matrix. Try the following if you didn't gain perfomance, you can try more complex libraries like boost or gmm that have interface to blas, lapack and atlas.

Regards,
Kayhan

Hi everyone ,
                 I am currently using a large sparse system of linear
equation which is non-symmetric. I tried using VNL sparse system solvers but
they are very slow , I can't still understand why they are slow because they
are supposed to utilise the BLAS and Lapack libraries to speed up. Can
anyone tell me how can I speed up the procedure???? I also tried the release
instead of debug. It was able to reduce the time taken but not to a
significant effect. Would including the Utilities folder in the
CMakeFile.txt help ???

I look forward to your reply and sorry for any inconvenience.