[ITK-users] Determining parent cell following (iterative Loop) subdivision?

DVigneault davis.vigneault at gmail.com
Mon May 2 13:22:56 EDT 2016

All--

Take this example [1] as a starting point, where an itk::QuadEdgeMesh is
iteratively subdivided using the Loop scheme.  Given a cell in the child
mesh, is there a way to determine from which cell in the original mesh it is
descended?

In an attempt to pass this information down, I tried setting the cell data
in the parent mesh to the cell's ID and then checking the cell data in the
child mesh; however, the cell data unfortunately isn't passed down.  (In
retrospect this makes sense, as a cell in the output of a subdivision filter
will not, in general, correspond in a 1-to-1 fashion to a cell in its
parent.)  I tried to add this functionality to the subcases where there *is*
a 1-to-1 correspondence by modifying the GenerateOutputCells() method [2],
but I got hung up because I couldn't determine the relationship between the
QEPrimal returned from AddTriangleFace() [3] and the cell ID to which I
would need to assign the data.

Before going farther down the rabbit hole, I thought I'd write to see if
there is a better way of approaching my original problem.

Best, and thanks,

--Davis

[1] http://itk.org/Wiki/ITK/Examples/Meshes/LoopTriangleCellSubdivision
[2]