[Insight-users] Image boundary solutions

Jesse Ross-Jones jesse.rj at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 07:19:49 EDT 2013

Dear ITK Users and Devs,

I am working on vessel segmentation, using the STARE and DRIVE image
datasets, and in order to deal with the image boundary I am trying to
implement the following:

The preprocessing algorithm starts with a region of interest
(ROI) determined by the camera’s aperture and iteratively grows
this ROI. Each step of the algorithm consists in the following.
First, the set of pixels of the exterior border of the ROI is de-
termined, i.e., pixels that are outside the ROI and are neighbors
(using four-neighborhood) to pixels inside it. Then, each pixel
value of this set is replaced with the mean value of its neighbors
(this time using eight-neighborhood) inside the ROI. Finally, the
ROI is expanded by inclusion of this altered set of pixels. This
process is repeated and can be seen as artificially increasing the
ROI, as shown in Fig. 1(b).

from http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?arnumber=01677727&tag=1

Is there something similar already implemented? I am considering instead to
use the Wrap Pad Image Filter:
http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1WrapPadImageFilter.html
to pad the region around the eye. Would this be a better possibility?

Much Appreciated,
Jesse