[Insight-users] Make that wrapping projects depend on the swig project

Constantine Zakkaroff mnkz at leeds.ac.uk
Sat Jul 28 12:55:19 EDT 2012

Hi Matt, Willi,

> Please test and review this patch:
>
>    http://review.source.kitware.com/#/c/5300/

I'm also struggling with compiling ITK 4.2 with Python wrapping on
Windows Vista, Visual Studio 2008. So I thought you might want to see
the results with the the patch you suggested.

Here's the errors from the clean build with the patch above:

1>------ Build started: Project: GCC_XML, Configuration: Release x64 ------
2>------ Build started: Project: GCC_XML-install, Configuration: Release
x64 ------
1>Could not find the temporary path. Make sure the TEMP environment
variable is set.
1>
2>Creating directories for 'GCC_XML'
3>------ Build started: Project: itkv3p_lsqr, Configuration: Release x64
------
4>------ Build started: Project: itkvcl, Configuration: Release x64 ------
2>Performing download step (CVS checkout) for 'GCC_XML'
3>Compiling...
4>Compiling...
1>Creating directories for 'GCC_XML'
3>lsqrBase.cxx
4>vcl_deprecated.cxx
1>Performing download step (CVS checkout) for 'GCC_XML'
4>vcl_alloc.cxx
4>vcl_hashtable.cxx
4>vcl_rbtree_instances.cxx
4>vcl_string_instances.cxx
4>vcl_limits.cxx
4>vcl_cstdlib.cxx
4>vcl_cassert.cxx
2>cvs.exe checkout: warning: failed to open M:\\.cvspass for reading: No
such file or directory
4>vcl_cmath.cxx
1>cvs.exe checkout: warning: failed to open M:\\.cvspass for reading: No
such file or directory
1>cvs checkout: [15:09:02] waiting for cvsuser's lock in
/cvsroot/GCC_XML/CVSROOT
4>Generating Code...
4>Creating library...
4>Build log was saved at
"file://e:\WorkspaceBin\InsightToolkit-4.2.0.x64A\Modules\ThirdParty\VNL\src\vxl\vcl\itkvcl.dir\Release\BuildLog.htm"
4>itkvcl - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)
5>------ Build started: Project: itkvnl, Configuration: Release x64 ------
2>U GCC_XML/CMakeLists.txt
... deleted 552 lines with 2>U checkout mesages.
1>cvs checkout: [15:09:32] obtained lock in /cvsroot/GCC_XML/CVSROOT
1>cvs.exe checkout: move away GCC_XML/CMakeLists.txt; it is in the way
1>C GCC_XML/CMakeLists.txt
1>cvs.exe checkout: move away GCC_XML/CTestConfig.cmake; it is in the way
1>C GCC_XML/CTestConfig.cmake
1>cvs.exe checkout: move away GCC_XML/README; it is in the way
5>vnl_vector_fixed+float.5-.cxx
1>C GCC_XML/README
1>cvs.exe checkout: move away GCC_XML/gccxmlCPack.cmake; it is in the way
1>C GCC_XML/gccxmlCPack.cmake
1>cvs.exe checkout: move away GCC_XML/GCC/CMakeLists.txt; it is in the way
1>C GCC_XML/GCC/CMakeLists.txt
1>cvs.exe checkout: move away GCC_XML/GCC/COPYING; it is in the way
1>C GCC_XML/GCC/COPYING
1>cvs.exe checkout: move away GCC_XML/GCC/COPYING.LIB; it is in the way
1>C GCC_XML/GCC/COPYING.LIB
1>cvs.exe checkout: move away GCC_XML/GCC/config.guess; it is in the way
... many more messagess like above.
1>cvs.exe checkout: move away
GCC_XML/GCC/gcc/config/soft-fp/floatunsisf.c; it is in the way
1>C GCC_XML/GCC/gcc/config/soft-fp/floatunsisf.c
1>cvs.exe checkout: move away
GCC_XML/GCC/gcc/config/soft-fp/floatunsitf.c; it is in the way
1>C GCC_XML/GCC/gcc/config/soft-fp/floatunsitf.c
1>U GCC_XML/GCC/gcc/config/soft-fp/gedf2.c
1>cvs.exe [checkout aborted]: cannot rename file CVS/Entries.Backup to
CVS/Entries: Permission denied
1>Project : error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from
"Performing download step (CVS checkout) for 'GCC_XML'"

Which is when all other build tasks start failing.

By looking closer at the log I notice multiple checkouts for the same
file (this is just one example, all files get checke out multiple times):

Line 4801: 1>cvs.exe checkout: move away
GCC_XML/GCC/gcc/config/sh/sh-protos.h; it is in the way
Line 4802: 1>C GCC_XML/GCC/gcc/config/sh/sh-protos.h
Line 4994: 2>U GCC_XML/GCC/gcc/config/sh/sh-protos.h

I didn't experience these problems without the patch, although I did
notice the download and compile step repeated more than once.

I'm happy to try out more suggestions, patches, tests, or whatever it
takes to get a working ITK 4.x build with Python wrapping.

Regards,
Constantine