[Insight-users] Speed of Fastmarching

Hui Tang tanghui.seu at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 12:14:07 EST 2012

Hi All,

I am using itkFastMarchingImageFilter to create a distance map to a set of
points, this seems like a very basic usage of ITK

//GetNodes
  seeds->Initialize();
  for (int i=0;i<seedPoints.size();i++)
  {
    ImageType::IndexType seedIndex;
        input->TransformPhysicalPointToIndex( seedPoints[i],seedIndex);
NodeType node;
const double seedValue = 0.0;
node.SetValue( seedValue );
node.SetIndex( seedIndex );
seeds->InsertElement( i, node );
  }
//execute fast marching
  FastMarchingFilterType::Pointer fastMarching =
FastMarchingFilterType::New();
  fastMarching->SetInput( input);
  fastMarching->SetTrialPoints(seeds);
  fastMarching->SetStoppingValue(2*radius);
  fastMarching->SetSpeedConstant(1);
  fastMarching->SetNormalizationFactor(1);
  fastMarching->SetOutputSize( input->GetBufferedRegion().GetSize() );
  fastMarching->Update();

This works,but it is extremely slow......I think something went wrong but I
do not know where.

May I ask did anyne of you also find out this problem?

Thanks a lot!

Best,

Hui