[Insight-users] An informal comparison between itk::BinaryDilateImageFilter and Matlab's imdilate()

Ramón Casero Cañas rcasero at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 11:33:40 EDT 2011

On 16/08/11 03:43, Bradley Lowekamp wrote:

> Thank you for the interesting study. I have just 2 comments. You
> didn't say what compiler you used. Certain optimizing compilers can
> produce code that is 10-20% faster then gcc and I have even seem upto
> 30% when targeted for your particular CPU. So I think the two
> versions are relatively close. Additionally, ITK is open source so if
> you see room for improvement in ITK's implementaion you are able to
> improve the performance ITK, or specialize the choices or assumptions
> is makes for your data.

Hi Brad,

The code was compiled with g++, gcc version 4.5.2 (Ubuntu/Linaro
4.5.2-8ubuntu4). For the Gerardus ItkToolbox I use flag -O2, although to
be honest I'm not sure whether the compilation of ITK as Release uses it.

Of course, if I see anything I can improve I'll send a patch ;)

Cheers,

Ramon.

--
Dr. Ramón Casero Cañas