[Insight-users] deformation field for large shear in soft material

Tim Bhatnagar tim.bhatnagar at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 16:35:32 EST 2010

Hi all,

I am trying to quantify the deformation of a soft tissue due to injurious
stimuli. I am taking over some code left to me by a colleague that utilizes
b-spline deformable registration tools, but there is clear mention of the
limitations of this tool in circumstances where the object undergoes a lot
of shearing motion.

Is there any way to get a reasonably accurate measure of the deformation
field in instances of high shear, or is it that there is simply not enough
mutual information between pre-deformation and post-deformation images to
match up? Is there a certain strain (%) that the b-spline deformable
registration tool can accommodate?

Any and all suggestions are very welcome - I'm also very new to the world of
ITK.

Thanks greatly,

--
Tim Bhatnagar