[Insight-users] computing mesh curvature

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Mar 18 19:11:25 EDT 2010

Hi Liam,

                           Welcome to ITK !

1) Given that you already have a vtkPolyData as the output
    of the vtkMarchingCubes filter, you could simply use the
    vtkCurvatures filter:
    http://www.vtk.org/doc/release/4.2/html/classvtkCurvatures.html

2)  If you want to do the equivalent with ITK,
     you could use the classes

         Insight/Code/Review/
            itkQuadEdgeMeshDiscreteCurvatureEstimator.h
            itkQuadEdgeMeshDiscreteCurvatureTensorEstimator.h
            itkQuadEdgeMeshDiscreteGaussianCurvatureEstimator.h
            itkQuadEdgeMeshDiscreteMaxCurvatureEstimator.h
            itkQuadEdgeMeshDiscreteMeanCurvatureEstimator.h
            itkQuadEdgeMeshDiscreteMinCurvatureEstimator.h
            itkQuadEdgeMeshDiscretePrincipalCurvaturesEstimator.h

Option (1) is probably the best way to go.