[Insight-users] Smoothing Vector Images

Merrem, Andreas andreas.merrem at medma.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Jun 15 11:34:38 EDT 2010

Hi Luis, hi everyone,

I am trying to smooth 3D image volumes of size 256 * 256 * 22 pixels, in
which each pixel contains a 3 dimensional itk::CovariantVector. The
vector components should be smoothed independently over the whole
volume. My current solution is to first copy the 3 vector components in
each pixel into 3 separate images with pixel type float, then use the
itk::RecursiveGaussianImageFilter for smoothing on all 3 images, and
finally copy the pixel values of the smoothed images back into the
covariant vector image.

My problem is that this procedure takes about one second. As a part of a
registration program, this leads to extremely slow registration (about
10 minutes for one 256*256*22 dicom volume). Is there a way to use less
memory by avoiding the copying, or do you know a different, faster
technique of applying a Gaussian filter?

Thanks a lot,

Andreas