[Insight-users] fixed and moving image

Markus Neuner neuner.markus at gmx.net
Tue Sep 29 08:13:48 EDT 2009

Hi Calvin,

In general the goal of registration is to find the transform that will
bring a moving image into alignment with a fixed image based on the used
registration criteria (maximize/minimize).
The transform maps points from the fixed image space to the moving image
space.

Fixed image:
One or more fixed images are the reference of registration. It remains
unchanged. The moving image is registered to match the fixed image.

Moving image:
The moving image is re-sampled to match the fixed image. Interpolation is
performed in the moving image.

Which image is used as fixed and moving image heavily depends on the
application. What images do you register (Size, Spacing, ...), and what
is the desired goal of your registration?
If you change the two images you could obtain different results,
especially when the spacings/sizes of th e images differ.

Best Regards,
Markus