[Insight-users] Principal Component Analysis

Mark Redd markredd85 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 04:43:26 EDT 2009

Hi people,
I'm finding many problems with PCA on medical images. In my student
career, I used to read "the fucking manual" in order to solve my
problems, but now I can't find it!

There are several things I can't understand :
1) the difference between itkImagePCADecompositionCalculatorTest,
itkImagePCAShapeModelEstimator and itkPCAShapeSignedDistanceFunction
codes

2) why, in their Test files, they don't accept normal images but
create some strange images (i think that they are created specifying
something that isn't a set of grayscale pixel values)

3) why the only understandable code,
itkActiveShapeModelCalculatorTest.cxx, doesn't give me the
eigenvectors and eigenvalues, when I use model.mha and foot.mha as
parameter, but only the mean shape coordinates.

So I don't want you getting bored with all my troubles, but can you
suggest a paper or something similiar that describe these topics? I
haven't foud the right answers on the official documentation and
doxygen is too synthetic to be understood by a newbie like me!

I'd appreciate if someone could give some suggestions,
Mark