[Insight-users] OnePlusOne Optimizer - results are always 0

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Sep 9 10:00:27 EDT 2009

Hi itkvtk123

Thanks for the update.

* Epsilon will define the convergence criterion
   So, it effects will not be visible at the beginning
   of the registration process.

You may want to play with the following parameters

* InitialRadius
* ShrinkFactor
* GrowthFactor

These parameters define the "sphere" around the
current parametric point, in which the optimizer
will try new values.

Note that this is done in the parametric space of
the transform, not in physical space.

The value of InitialRadius, relates to the settings
of the parameters scales.  For example, if you
double all parameter scales values, and you
double the InitialRadius, then the optimizer will
behave the same.

The rule of thum for setting parameter scales
is to set rotations to 1.0, so that you can assume
that the InitialRadius is set in units of radians
(for example : 0.1 radians, which is ~5.7 degrees).

Then you set the translation scales in order to make
that a small step of rotation is proportional to a
small scale of translation.

In your case:

  translationscale = 0.1 radian / ( 512 x 1.0 mm)

BTW: Is the final rotation of 25 degrees what you were
expecting ?  This rotation is close to the point of being
too large to be solved by registration. You may simply
need a better initialization of the Versor transform...