No subject

Wed Oct 7 22:37:18 EDT 2009

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704431804574537481229336114.h=
tml

<quote>

The most telling moment in the Bilski argument was when Justice Breyer
asked how the balance should be struck between granting patents for
methods that applied to machines as opposed to methods that apply to
how information is used. "I don't know," he answered. "And I don't
know whether across the board or in this area or that area patent
protection would do no harm or more harm than good."

Likewise, Justice Sotomayor said she couldn't predict the result if
the court tried to clarify what can be patented and what can't. "I
have no idea what the limits of that ruling will impose in the
computer world, in the biomedical world."

Such humility is rare at the Supreme Court, but as the justices come
to a decision in this case, they should remember above all that legal
uncertainty about intellectual property has real costs. For now, the
most innovative parts of our economy bear the burden of uncertainty,
with no one knowing for sure who owns what rights to which ideas,
inventions or discoveries.

</quote>

It is not surprising that Patent Systems were abolished in several
countries in the past: for example in The Netherlands in 1869.

By the time of the American Revolution; England was the only country
where a Patent system was in place. It was common  knowledge that
the creation of Monopolies was detrimental for the Economy, particularly
for a market economy.

In August 1813, Thomas Jefferson wrote:

"I am informed, that England was, until we copied her, the only
country on earth which ever, by a general law, gave a legal right to
the exclusive use of an idea. In some other countries it is sometimes
done, in a great case, and by a special and personal act, but,
generally speaking, other nations have thought that these monopolies
produce more embarrassment than advantage to society; and it may be
observed that the nations which refuse monopolies of invention, are as
fruitful as England in new and useful devices."

http://press-pubs.uchicago.edu/founders/documents/a1_8_8s12.html

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 2:33 AM, Michael Mai <Michael.Mai at zeiss-oim.de> wro=
te:
> See http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/ITK_Patent_Bazaar for answer.
> Summarized: Unfortunately no, even non-commercial research have to obey p=
atents.

> Michael
>
> -----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----
 Im Auftrag von Rupin