[Insight-users] How to know what parameters of a filter need to be set?

Roman Grothausmann roman.grothausmann at helmholtz-berlin.de
Fri Oct 30 06:43:23 EDT 2009

Dear mailing list members,

Although I like and value ITK very much there's a problem I've
encountered a few times now: How do I find out what parameters of a
filter have to be set?
An example: I need some kind of closing filter. So I search in
http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classes.html for close/closing and find
quite a few filters.
Not knowing which one's the right for my case I try to find more
information than the "Detailed Description" of each filter. If there's
no description in the  ItkSoftwareGuide and/or the insight-journal I've
no clue where to look else except the source which is very hard to
understand quickly.
Looking at the Detailed Description of
ClosingByReconstructionImageFilter only PreserveIntensities is mentioned.
Although mentioned there I couldn't find any filter called
ErosionByReconstruction, only ReconstructionByErosionImageFilter. Is
that the same?
I know Dilation needs a structuring element. So I have to choose its
shape and its size, but the list of "Public Member Functions" of
ClosingByReconstructionImageFilter is huge.
How do I know which are the important ones that need to be specified?

Any help is very much appreciated
Roman

--
Roman Grothausmann

Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie GmbH
Bereich Funktionale Materialien
Institut für angewandte Materialforschung
Hahn-Meitner-Platz 1
D-14109 Berlin

Tel.: +49-(0)30-8062-2816
Fax.: +49-(0)30-8062-3059

Mitglied der Hermann von Helmholtz-Gemeinschaft Deutscher
Forschungszentren e.V.
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrates: Dr. Beatrix Vierkorn-Rudolph,
Stellvertretende Vorsitzende: Dr. Jutta Koch-Unterseher,
Geschäftsführer: Prof. Dr. Anke Kaysser-Pyzalla, Prof. Dr. h.c. Wolfgang
Eberhardt, Dr. Ulrich Breuer  Sitz Berlin, AG Charlottenburg, 89 HRB 5583