[Insight-users] Does anybody use ITKDefOrg (I-DO)?

Michael Xanadu xanadu.michael at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 26 06:30:29 EDT 2009

Hi Chris,

finally, I was capable to build I-DO, thank you. I guess you are the same
Chris McIntosh, who develepod I-DO with Ghassan Hamarneh, aren't you? :-)
That's great, because I've got a few questions about your framework. I hope
you can answer. I want to segment vasculature in CT images in a way it's
shown in one of your impressive videos (
http://mial.fas.sfu.ca/Files/guiMovieCinepak.avi).

1. I guess the mesh file (e.g. circleMesh3d.meta) describes the start object
to deform (the little cube in your examples, which deforms by iterations),
isn't it? Is there a documentation about writing a mesh file? There are
issues I don't understand.

2. How can I set a seed point of starting the deformation (the location of
the mesh) in my CT image? Of course I want to segment a special vessel at a
specific location in my CT.

3. Does I-Do delivers binary images (of segmented objects) like ITK filters
usually does? Or does I-Do just writes the final mesh into the image?

4. I tried your DefOrgViewerWithKW example and found out that the
deformations perform very slowly compared to the example videos (basic &
advanced). What is the average speed of I-DO? Are the example videos speed
up?

5. Is your image crawler project completely merged into I-DO or are there
any sources left? I only found the paper.

Chris, I-Do is a impressive framework and very interesting for my work. I
hope you can answer to my questions.

Regards, michael