[Insight-users] Registering PET and MR images

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Oct 25 18:20:57 EDT 2009

Hi John,

Yes, you will need to use a multi-modality metric.

Note as well, that in order to register PET and MRI
images, you may want to focus on the range of PET
intensities that reveal anatomical features that are
also visible in the MRI scan.

That is, usually you want to use, mostly, the low
intensity levels of the PET image. One way of
achieving this is to pass the PET image through
a filter that applies an intensity transformation.

You could do this with any of the following:

  a) SigmoidImageFilter
  b) IntensityWindowingImageFilter

Then you use the converted image as the
input for the image registration process
along with the MRI image.