[Insight-users] Harris corner detection

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat Oct 24 16:22:41 EDT 2009

Hi Jesus,

1) I'm not aware of any filter in ITK for specifically detecting corners.

2) Looking at the Harris Corner detection description in the Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corner_detection#The_Harris_.26_Stephens_.2F_Plessey_corner_detection_algorithm

    It looks like you could implement it by using:

       RecursiveGaussianImageFilter

    set to first order, to compute the first derivatives Ix Iy.

    and then, in a second pass you could compute the Harris Matrix.

    Since the Matrix is symmetric, you could store it in the
    type:

       Code/Common/itkSymmetricSecondRankTensor.txx

    and use its methods:

  /** Return an array containing EigenValues. */
  void ComputeEigenValues( EigenValuesArrayType & eigenValues ) const;

  /** Return an array containing EigenValues, and a matrix containing Eigen
   * vectors. */
  void ComputeEigenAnalysis( EigenValuesArrayType & eigenValues,
                             EigenVectorsMatrixType & eigenVectors ) const;

http://public.kitware.com/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1SymmetricSecondRankTensor.html#0c302bae00dc50112f4759cbc04c5dd7
http://public.kitware.com/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1SymmetricSecondRankTensor.html#a6f25db02794d1d1c9c40ef71aacc714

    Then, finally, compute the term:

              V1.V2 - K ( V1 - V2 ) ^2

     or ... follow their suggestion and simply do

            det( A ) - k . trace (A )

     both the determinant and the trace could be
     computed by using the methods of the vnl_matrix.

      Of course, if you implement this filter,
      we strongly encourage you to share it with other users
      by submitting it as a technical report to the
      Insight Journal:

http://www.insight-journal.org/
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Procedure_for_Contributing_New_Classes_and_Algorithms

3) About your question regarding the Sobel Operator:

    Please define what you mean by

                a) Amplitude,  and
                b) Phase