[Insight-users] Problem with 2D Registration (local minima)

Manuel David Tabas Calle manueldavid.tabas at hotmail.es
Thu Oct 22 10:09:01 EDT 2009

Hi Luis,

Thank you for answering me.

1) As you said, my images are from Microscopy and the spacing is about 2.85 micrometres/pixel. The images are in a raw format and I used the following .mhd file for reading it:

    NDims = 2

    DimSize = 2000 2000

    ElementType = MET_UCHAR

    ElementSpacing = 1.0 1.0

    Offset = 0.0 0.0

    ElementByteOrderMSB = False

    ElementDataFile = fixed.raw

I also tried to as ElementSpacing 2.83 and 0.00283 (just in case...) but the results weren´t good either.

2) I also try to put a relaxation factor of 0.9 as you said and I couldn´t see any improvement.

3)  I´m attaching three .txt files with some results obtained.

The results1.txt file shows the output of the program as you can find it on ITK/Examples/Registration/.

The results2.txt file shows the output of the program with a predifined center in the position 1000x1000. The results3.txt file shows the output of the program with a predifined center in the position 1000x1000, a predefined angle of 0.9 radians and a predefined traslation of -340 in the X axis and 800 in the Y axis (that are the values for an optimal registration).

I hope you can help me to fix my problem with that information... an be free to ask anything else :P.

Thank you really much.

Manuel.

> Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 17:29:08 -0400
> Subject: Re: [Insight-users] Problem with 2D Registration (local minima)
> From: luis.ibanez at kitware.com
> To: manueldavid.tabas at hotmail.es
> CC: insight-users at itk.org
>
> Hi Manuel,
>
> Thanks for the detailed description of your problem.
>
> A couple of questions:
>

> 1) What is the pixel spacing of your image ?
>
> The typical proportion of :
>
> > const double translationScale = 1.0 / 1000.0;
>
> is set up for images whose physical extent in
> the units used by the spacing is in the range
> of hundreds.
>
> For example, a typical CT scan will have 512x512
> pixels with a spacing close to 1mm / pixel.
>
> Your images are probably from Microscopy or
> from a Satellite, so I'm wondering about the units
> that you use (microns or kilometers) and the
> exact numeric values of the spacing.
>

> 2) Could you post to the list the output of the
> command observer that tracks the values of
> the metric and the transform at every iteration ?
>

> Something that happens often when using the
> RegularStepGradientDescentOptimizer is that,
> if the registration process have a couple of
> bounces of direction in the parametric space,
> the step length may be reduced too fast, and
> not give the optimizer the oportunity to walk
> far enough to get to the solution.
>

> You may want to try using the method:
>
> optimizer->SetRelaxationFactor( 0.9 );
>

> This method defines the factor by which the
> step length is reduced at every time that the
> parametric space step changes direction.
> This may prevent the premature shrinkage
> of the step length (assuming that this is the
> real problem).
>

> Anothe typical issue: It may simply be that you
> need a better initialization for your images.
>

> Note that the Transform initializer in the example:
>
> ImageRegistration6.cxx
>
> is using the methods MomentsOn().
>
> This may or may not be the right method to use,
> depending on the content of your images.
>
> For example: If the two images have different
> modalities, or if the main features of one image
> may not overlap to the one in the other image.
>
> If you could post a screenshot of both images
> we could avoid all this speculation... :-)
>
> Or...
> If you can share your images in a public web
> site, that will be even better.
>

> Thanks
>

> Luis

> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 11:56 AM, Manuel David Tabas Calle
> <manueldavid.tabas at hotmail.es> wrote:
> > Hello ITK,
> >
> > I´m working with ITK to do registration of 2D images and I think I reach a
> > local minima that makes a poor registration.
> >
> > I´m using 2D images 2000x2000 pixels in what the moving image needs a
> > rotation and a translation. So I reproduced the ImageRegistration6.cxx to do
> > that. But the result I got is not good enough so I think that the
> > MeanSquares metric reaches a local minima. The value of the metric is about
> [...]

¿Estás fuera de temporada? Entra ya en Nueva Temporada y entérate antes que nadie de sobre famosos, moda, belleza y el look que se lleva este otoño.
http://events.es.msn.com/entretenimiento/nueva-temporada/vuelta-al-cole/