[Insight-users] Re sampleImageFilter and ITK_USE_OPTIMIZED_REGISTRATION_METHODS

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Oct 21 18:38:40 EDT 2009

Hi Peter,

In Summary:

    The "Optimized" methods are "Multi-Threaded"

We shouldn't have called them "Optimized",
since after all, what is "Optimal" ?..

The main change is that the two metrics:

* MattesMutualInformation
* MeanSquares

Now distribute the computation of

* GetValue()
* GetValueAndDerivative()

over multiple-threads, and therefore they give you
close to linear speedup with the number of cores
or processor that you have.

The Resample image filter already knows how to distribute
its load over multiple threads.  There is no benefit in you
trying to do that distribution manually.

You can easily verify this by running any of the many
examples in the directory:

          Insight/Examples/Registration

and monitoring the use of your CPU.

Please let us know what you find.