[Insight-users] How to get Image Orientaion, Image Postion etc. for a dicom image using itk

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Oct 20 18:00:36 EDT 2009

Hi Hui,

The methods that you are looking for,
are in the base class of itkGDCMImageIO:

The itkImageIOBase class.

In particular, you want to use:

A) GetNumberOfDimensions()
B) GetDimensions( i ); // number of pixels along dimension "i"
C) GetOrigin( i ); // i-th component of origin coordinates
D) GetSpacing( i ); // pixel spacing along dimension "i"
E) GetDirection( i ); // Direction cosine of dimension "i"

Regarding parameters such as

1) Field of View
2) Slice thickness

You can get them by using their DICOM tags with the method:

  bool GetValueFromTag(const std::string & tag, std::string & value);

For example:

std::string sliceThickness;

imageIO->SetFileName();
imageIO->ReadImageInformation();
imageIO->GetValueFromTag("0018:0050", sliceThickness);

Please note that you MUST call ReadImageInfromation()
before you attempt to gather any data from the ImageIO
class. Otherwise the information from the file will not be
available yet in the ImageIO instance.