[Insight-users] Using ITK with visual studio and not cmake

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Mon Oct 19 13:43:50 EDT 2009

CMake may be enumerating all those include directories, but your
project will most likely need every single one of them. Same thing for
the libraries. My guess is that you will spend about an hour tracking
down what you need and then you will have your VS Solution the way you
want it. Which isn't that bad.

   Far as the "just working", John Dresher helped me last week get ITK
and VS working better together with regards to Debug and Release
libraries. Just so we are clear, if I do a "rebuild" in my project ITK
is NOT touched at all. This seemed like a point of confusion in your
email.

   The way I have things setup is as follows: (Windows 7 currently).

I have ITK located in C:/Users/mjackson/Workspace/ITK-3.14.0. Inside
that directory I have 2 build directories: i386 and x64. I use cmake
to configure new VS solutions for each one. Then I have built ITK in
both debug and release modes. So for those playing along at home, that
is 4 builds. I now have ITK_DIR set to C:/Users/mjackson/Workspace/
ITK-3.14.0/x64 for my 64 bit builds and C:/Users/mjackson/Workspace/
ITK-3.14.0/i386 for my 32 bit builds of my own projects.

  Now when I toggle between "Debug" and "Release" in my own VS
projects, VS is nice enough to pick up the "correct" set of libraries
from ITK (release or debug). Again, selecting "rebuild" in my VS
solution does NOTHING to the ITK libraries already built. Only my own
project is rebuilt.

Hope that helps.
Mike Jackson                  mike.jackson at bluequartz.net

On Oct 19, 2009, at 1:28 PM, Mark Roden wrote:

> [...]
>
> Basically, it seems that CMake is just enumerating all directories and
> putting that enumeration into the build list.
>
> See, I don't want to use that Visual Studio project, because it's
> cluttered with all the libraries and so forth.  I don't want to
> rebuild the libraries all the time, I just want them to exist and not
> be touched.  I want to remove them as much as possible as a time sink
> for a 'rebuild all' command, and I want to assume that they will Just
> Work and so not be a potential source of problems.  Of course, that
> last is probably a pipe dream, but at least it's open sourced so I can
> step in if I need to.  I'd also want to have all those warnings on in
> my project, because they've all caused me problems in the past.  I
> also want to be able to lock down to a particular version of the
> library, and then only upgrade as necessary.
>
> So, I have my reasons.  If that means that I have a more complicated
> project file, so be it.
>
> Thanks for the help,
> Mark
>
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 10:17 AM, Michael Jackson
> <mike.jackson at bluequartz.net> wrote:
>> Answers In line..
>>

>> On Oct 19, 2009, at 12:56 PM, Mark Roden wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 9:35 AM, John Drescher
>>> <drescherjm at gmail.com>

>>> I have a similar level of experience here, and I'm just not that
>>> into
>>> cmake.  I've learned quite a few tricks with sln files and the like,
>>> and figuring out yet another set of build rules and yet another
>>> set of
>>> unit testing paradigms and a different source control system (I use
>>> either git or perforce, cvs just gives me hives) is a real
>>> distraction
>>> from getting work done.
>>
>>  You don't need CVS for ITK. Get the regular released version from
>> the web
>> site.
>>>
>>> Let me put it this way: the CMake paradigm adopted by itk, that of
>>> single files to accomplish a simple task, is fine for little command
>>> line applications, but not how I want to build an application.  If I
>>> wanted to incorporate other libraries (ie, QT for useful interfaces,
>>> etc), trying to mesh these libraries with those will be most likely
>>> excruciating.  That's why I'm looking for a simple build location,
>>> with dlls, libs, and headers, not to incorporate with an entire
>>> coding
>>> paradigm.
>>>
>> Actually incorporating other libraries with CMake and ITK is quite
>> "easy"
>> with CMake... but I'll leave that for another time..
>>
>>> Maybe I don't understand CMake.  Frankly, I really don't want to.  I
>>> just want to use the libraries as libraries, not as a coding style
>>> or
>>> as a way to organize files.
>>
>> See below..

>>> I've found it, and now I get:
>>>
>>> 1>c:\users\mark\src\itktests\itktestproject\itk
>>> libraries\code\common\itkmacro.h(42) : fatal error C1083: Cannot