[Insight-users] Re sampleImageFilter and multithreading.

Pete79 pkoniusz at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 17 21:08:31 EDT 2009

Luis Ibanez wrote:

> 1) Did you enable ITK_USE_REVIEW  in CMake ?
> 2) Did you enable ITK_USE_OPTIMIZED_REGISTRATION_METHODS in CMake ?

Hiyah, thanks for such a prompt reply. From CMakeCache.txt I can gather the
following:
ITK_USE_REVIEW:BOOL=OFF
ITK_USE_OPTIMIZED_REGISTRATION_METHODS-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1

Are these flags set up to enable the desired functionality? Should I change
anything?

Luis Ibanez wrote:

> 3) Are you reusing the instances of the filter in any way ?

Each instance is always instantiated by New within each thread separately.
There is no object reusing amongst different threads involved. I'm aware
majority of filters are not multithread-safe in such sense. The only thing
is ROI filters use the same image as input, but I assume reading is in
general safe in multithreading scenarios. Besides, I already experimented
with sequential execution of all code by synchronising it by the Critical
Sections. Outcome is still the same though :/

Luis Ibanez wrote:

> 4)  Try calling SetNumberOfThreads(1) on all the instances
>      of the Resample filter, before you call Update on them.

It is already done. Prior to this, threads used to crash by random chance.
Now, at least they don't crash.

Many thanks,
Peter