[Insight-users] using deformable registration between two different subjects

John Drozd john.drozd at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 15:14:06 EDT 2009

Hello,

I have two brain volumes, that I successfully loaded into ITK from two
different sets of dicom series, namely,

image 1 data: (header info that I obtained when I saved my first volume as a
nrrd file in Slicer)
type: short
dimension: 3
space: left-posterior-superior
sizes: 256 256 124
space directions: (0,0.9375,0) (0,0,-0.9375) (-1.3,0,0)
kinds: domain domain domain
endian: little
encoding: gzip
space origin: (-79.9,-125.9,121.8)

image 2 data: (header info that I obtained when I saved my second volume as
a nrrd file in Slicer)
type: unsigned short
dimension: 3
space: left-posterior-superior
sizes: 256 256 166
space directions: (0,0,-0.93905) (0,0.93905,0) (1.2024,0,0)
kinds: domain domain domain
endian: little
encoding: gzip
space origin: (198.396,-0,-0)

I want to use a deformable registration such that I will deform the first
image into the the second image.  Because the images will have different
modalities, I am planning to use a modified version of either
DeformableRegistration8.cxx (which uses itk::BSplineDeformableTransform,
itk::MattesMutualInformationImageToImageMetric with the LBFGSB Optimizer).
I may also try using DeformableRegistration14.cxx which uses a
gradientsteepestdescent optimizer. As a final refinement, maybe a
multiresolution scheme of these routines to speed up the computation.

I noticed that in the parameter file for DeformableRegistration8.cxx, only
one size Nx, Ny, Nz is specified for both images, but my images have
different sizes and different space directions, and different space origins
as listed in the nrrd headers above for these images.

I will try on my own, but I was wondering if someone has some helpful
insight or hints as to whether there are many modifications that I have to
do, to refine DeformableRegistration8.cxx or DeformableRegistration14.cxx
and their associated classes to make this workable for my situation.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.

john

--