[Insight-users] Correction of non-uniform illumination in EM data

Lassi Paavolainen lassi.paavolainen at jyu.fi
Wed Oct 7 18:18:25 EDT 2009

Hi Nick,

On Wed, 7 Oct 2009, Nick Tustison wrote:

> Hi Lassi,
>
> In general, inspection of the corners in an image probably does not
> constitute a proper assessment of bias correction algorithms.  Can you
> describe your data a little more and perhaps I can point you to some
> variations you might want to try?

Ok. I explained it badly. This example dataset has its brightest
illumination in lower left area of the image. Average intensities then go
lower to the upper part of the image and to the right part of the image.
Its some sort of Gaussian distribution where the center is in lower left
part of the image. I measured those average intensities by calculating
mean of area about 512x512 in five different places (left-top, right-top,
center, right-bottom, left-bottom).

Even though mask image is said not to be that important, could it be the
solution for this problem? In this case using Otsu just masks upper right
part of the image and elsewhere some noisy parts of the data. At least
this mask image is quite different of what you would expect to get from
MRI data. I tested bias correction in EM data.

Lassi

lassi.paavolainen at jyu.fi