[Insight-users] Correction of non-uniform illumination in EM data

Lassi Paavolainen lassi.paavolainen at jyu.fi
Wed Oct 7 08:46:33 EDT 2009

Hi Nick,

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009, Nicholas Tustison wrote:

> Hi Lassi,
>
> You might want to take a look at the N3 algorithm implemented in ITK.  It
> might provide what you're looking for.
>
> http://www.midasjournal.org/browse/publication/640
>
> Good luck,
> Nick

I have played around with that now. It looks promising but doesn't do its
job completely. I have tested it with one dataset where mean intensity is
around 130 in lower left corner and around 100 in upper right corner.

When I run test program from your publication using shrinkFactor = 4 and
using default iteration number and number of fitting levels values, I get
image where difference between those areas is about 20. Running it five
times difference is subtracted to around 10. I have changed the number of
iterations and fitting levels without making a much of a difference in
results.

So it looks really promising but I would like to get the job done by
running it only once. Of course results cannot be perfect (there is no
perfect solution in image analysis). Do you have any idea where I should
look into to make it converge to some sort of optimal result by running
the filter just once?

Lassi