[Insight-users] DICOM orientation

John Drozd john.drozd at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 18:13:29 EDT 2009

Hello,

I am reading a brain subject in the form of a DICOM series using ITK and
writing it out from memory as a volume.
I used the method shown in Examples/IO/DicomSeriesReadImageWrite2.cxx
I viewed the original DICOM series in 3D Slicer, and also viewed the
outputted volume in 3D Slicer.
I am using 3D Slicer because I am developing a segmentation module for 3D
Slicer using ITK.
I noticed that the original DICOM series and the outputted volume are
inverted in orientation, such that the original series is the radiologist
view and the outputted volume is the neurosurgean view as per
http://www.itk.org/pipermail/insight-users/2009-June/031128.html and
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/Proposals:Orientation#DICOM_LPS_Differences_in_Visualization_presented_to_Radiologist_and_NeuroSurgeons

Does this have something to do with what I read on the internet that vtk's
images are flipped vertically from itk's images?
Is there a way to manipulate the image in memory using ITK so that Slicer
will display the outputted volume in the same radiologist orientation as the
original DICOM series?

Thank you.

john

--