[Insight-users] update Mevislab dcm-tiff support

Rashindra Manniesing r.manniesing at erasmusmc.nl
Mon Oct 5 11:54:04 EDT 2009

No that was actually not the reason. I decided on purpose not to adjust
for intercept/slope found in the dcm header since that would involve a
type cast of the pixeltype in some cases (eg in CTA data is often stored
as unsigned short).

I think it is safer not to have this behavior as side effect. Although a
type-cast to short for this particular case may seem trivial, I think it
is better to have the user be aware of the pixeltypes and intensity range
and to let him/her decide whether intensity rescaling should be applied.

Btw: although I may be biased in my judgements, in general I must say the
dcm/tiff format proposed by mevis is quite a handy format to use. First,
their choice of using one dcm file (of the vol) as header information is
simply a very smart thing to do, and it uses compression by default.

Having said that, I would appreciate if developers of ITK would find the
time to update the tiff library (really, there are many bugfixes in the
latest version of 3.9.1) and to drop the support of gdcm 1.0 and stick
with 2.0 to make a cleaner/leaner package!