[Insight-users] Threaded Gaussian Filter

Karthik Krishnan karthik.krishnan at kitware.com
Thu Oct 1 15:59:50 EDT 2009

Which gaussian smoothing / convolution filter are you using ?
itk::DiscreteGaussianImageFilter or itk::RecursiveGaussianImageFilter.

In any case, both are threaded. However the execution time differs
based on the filter you use.

The first is slower, uses a neighborhood operator and visits each
pixel with a gaussian kernel. Its speed will depend on the
MaximumKernelWidth parameter given to the filter.

The second is an IIR filter, however its much faster for a large
image, its implemented using a separable kernel and is based on
Deriche's approximation. (Its not based on a pixel wise neighborhood
convolution operation).

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 1:41 PM, Mike Jackson
<mike.jackson at bluequartz.net> wrote:
> Anyone have a threaded version of the Gaussian Filter? I am currently
> using the example code for a Gaussian filter from the ITK distribution
> and for the image size I am throwing at it, the iteration loop takes a
> long time because it performs the filter serially on every pixel.
>
> Thanks
> Mike Jackson                  mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
> BlueQuartz Software                    www.bluequartz.net
> Principal Software Engineer                  Dayton, Ohio

Karthik Krishnan
R&D Engineer,
Kitware Inc.
Ph: 518 881 4919