[Insight-users] Current state of "Active Contours without edges" in Review folder? - Example?

alex gouaillard alexandre_gouaillard at hms.harvard.edu
Thu Jul 16 11:46:54 EDT 2009

hi amardeep,

thanks for using the code and giving us feedback.

the three IJ submissions you cite are based on the same implementation
of chan and vesse but describe three different things. Not to confuse
the reader we separated them:

- Level Set Segmentation: Active Contours without edge
describe the notion of contour without edges, and our implementation
of Chan and Vesse in ITK. It is not related to any given image type or
field of research.
http://www.insight-journal.com/browse/publication/322

- level set segmentation using coupled active surfaces
describe a MULTIPHASE implementation of the above mentioned algorithm.
This is the first time a multiphase level set is implemented in ITK
and we describe the rationale behind our implementation
http://www.insight-journal.com/browse/publication/323

- Cell Tracking using Coupled Active Surfaces for Nuclei and Membranes
Is more dedicated to cell segmentation in microscopy images. Level set
formulation is extended to have non overlapping multiphase level set
evolve concurrently, and to also handle concurrent evolution of two
level sets, one on the nuclei (channel) image one on the membrane
(channel) image. It's a way to introduce a-priori information (a
nuclei resides within the corresponding membrane) in the level set
model. It is very specific.
http://www.insight-journal.com/browse/publication/642

Now, the code in IJ is "old" and suffers from limitations. The code in
Review, thanks to multiple feedback from the community, has been
greatly improved and is the version you should use. There is still
work to be done (see here for a follow up: http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gofigure2/wiki/ITKRegionBasedLevelSet
  ) and we are currently addressing it.

Kishore mosaliganti, who lead this effort, is currently porting quite
a few tests / examples into Code\Review. He will get back to you very
shortly with pointers to those tests.

Please keep sending us feedback.

regards,

alex.