[Insight-users] One Plus One Evolutionary Optimizer Search Radius

Pascal mastersofwar at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 23 14:23:04 EST 2009

Dear all,

I have a general question regarding the search radius parameter
for this optimizer.

Some articles and codes I have read choose a positive search radius; I have yet to see one with a negative value.

My gut feeling is that a negative search radius will search the parameter space in the other direction....matrix A ( see code below) would be negative and thus, the delta value would be negative as well, which seems to be fine in my opinion.

Any insight on this would be appreciated.

lines of code where radius is defined in optimizer

A.set_identity();
for(unsigned int i = 0; i < spaceDimension; i++)
{
A(i,i) = m_InitialRadius / scales[i];
}

 delta  = A * f_norm;
 child  = parent + delta;

convergence criterion: f-norm of A < epsilon_A