[Insight-users] A challenge to all Windows users

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohiou.edu
Wed Dec 23 10:13:39 EST 2009

On 12/22/2009 12:03 PM, URI wrote:
>I would like some of you Windows users to start fresh on a computer that has
> never had ITK or CMake or MinGW or any of that stuff on it and get ITK
> running from scratch, and then tell me step by step what you have done.

I am a long haired and bearded Linux guy who hasn't used Windows
regularly since Windows 98 so not only was the system unspoiled but so
was I. I used Windows 7 32-bit.

I'm typing this up after the fact because I wasn't sure it would work at
all given how much trouble you had. So I'm sorry if I miss something.

I downloaded the mingw installer MinGW-5.1.6.exe.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/Automated%20MinGW%20Installer/MinGW%205.1.6/MinGW-5.1.6.exe/download

I downloaded the CMake installer.
http://www.cmake.org/files/v2.8/cmake-2.8.0-win32-x86.exe

I downloaded the Insight source zip file.
http://voxel.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/itk/InsightToolkit-3.16.0.zip

I installed mingw with the c++ compiler added to the default options.
I added ";C:\MinGW\bin" at the end of the Windows PATH.

I installed CMake letting the installer add to PATH.

I unzipped the Insight source.
I created a Build directory outside of the Insight source directory.

I ran the CMake GUI.
I browsed to the Insight source directory.
I browsed to the build directory.
I hit configure.
I selected "MinGW MakeFiles"...
I waited...
I waited...
I hit configure again.
I hit generate.

I opened up a windows command prompt.
I cd'ed to my build directory.
I typed "mingw32-make" and hit enter.
I waited...

The build went fine, and it is testing itself now.